Project NEON (Needle and Sex Education Outreach Network) is an HIV-prevention program for gay, bi and trans men affected by crystal methamphetamine. NEON’s philosophies are rooted in the concept of harm reduction and the belief that all individuals are capable of making life-enhancing decisions, regardless of their drug use. Therefore, we support informed choice based on accurate and truthful education.
Project NEON’s goals
- Raise awareness about the links between crystal use and HIV, hepatitis, sexually transmitted diseases and other health concerns
- Provide accurate and truthful information about how crystal affects the body and mind
- Provide options for reducing sexual and drug use risks associated with crystal
- Provide options for managing or stopping crystal use
Peer educators are current and/or former crystal users trained to provide education about safer sex and safer use practices to other guys who use crystal in their communities. Through their exiting drug networks peer educators:
- Conduct safer sex and safer use education
- Conduct one-for-one needle exchange
- Distribute condoms, lube, educational brochures, clean injection equipment and dental kits
- Provide referrals for social services, health care, HIV/STD testing, and drug treatment/counseling
Individual Counseling and Case Management
Our staff at Seattle Counseling Service provide individual counseling on personal drug use issues, addresses individual HIV/health concerns, and assists clients in accessing financial, housing, medical and mental health care services. These services are FREE and clients do not have to quit or even want to quit to get help.